April 26, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. --- In a four hour marathon that included four of the six singles matches going to three sets, the Fresno State women's tennis team fell 4-3 to Wyoming in the quarterfinals of the Mountain West Tournament.
The match started off with a close doubles point which the Cowgirls eventually won. Fresno State took court three first as Olga Kirpicheva and Aishwarya Agrawal dominated 8-3. Wyoming came back winning 8-3 at No. 1 and held off a strong comeback by the Bulldogs on court two.
In singles, Fresno State got off to a hot start, winning four of the six first sets. In the end, the Bulldogs seniors each finished their careers with a singles win.
Kirpicheva, a senior from Moscow, Russia, put the 'Dogs on the board as she won 6-4, 6-3 at No. 6 for her tenth victory of the season. Modoc, a senior from Yorba Linda, Calif., pushed Fresno State ahead 2-1 as she battled in three sets winning 6-4, 2-, 7-5. McQueen, a senior from Whitby, Canada, followed her classmates with a 5-7, 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 4. Her win today is the 72nd of her career and leaves her sitting alone at 12th all-time in Fresno State history.
Wyoming closed the gap with three-set wins on courts one and three to tie the score at 3-3. In the final match, Alexandra Kovacs of Wyoming won 7-5, 5-7, 7-5 to win the final point.
(6) Wyoming 4, (3) Fresno State 3
1. Veronica Popovici (WYO) def. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Alexandra Kovacs (WYO) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 7-5, 5-7, 7-5
3. Simona Syncova (WYO) def. Sophie Watts (FS) 4-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
4. Melissa McQueen (FS) def. Sasa Nemcova (WYO) 5-7, 6-3, 6-2
5. Bianca Modoc (FS) def. Jessica Parizher (WYO) 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
6. Olga Kirpicheva (FS) def. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WYO) 6-4, 6-3
1. Veronica Popovici/Simona Syncova (WYO) def. Melissa McQueen/Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 8-3
2. Alexandra Kovacs/Sasa Nemcova (WYO) def. Sophie Watts/Bianca Modoc (FS) 8-6
3. Olga Kirpicheva/Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Jessica Parizher/Silviya Zhelyazkova (WYO) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,5,4,1,3,2)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|