April 26, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
By Kasandra Martinson
FRESNO, Calif. --- Coming back from a 3-1 deficit, the Fresno State women's tennis team rallied to defeat UNLV 4-3 in the quarterfinals of the Mountain West Women's Tennis Championship on Saturday afternoon.
"A heroic effort by our girls for our first Mountain West conference tournament win in our short history," said Fresno State head coach Ryan Stotland, whose team has now won 10 straight matches and are 15-8 overall. "We played the defending champions and credit to UNLV, they played like champs today, it was a fantastic match. It came down to a couple of points and I couldn't be prouder of the girls for crawling back and getting this historic win. We look forward to another tough battle tonight."
Advancing to the semifinals of the tournament, the top seeded Bulldogs are set to face fifth-seed Wyoming this evening at Sierra Sport and Racquet Club. The start time will be at approximately 7:30 p.m.
Sophomore Anneka Watts played a pivotal role in the Bulldogs comeback, winning her singles point at the No. 5 slate (6-4, 5-7, 6-4) and the match-clinching point at the No. 1 doubles spot alongside twin sister Sophie Watts.
Junior Aishwarya Agrawal defeated Iren Kotseva of UNLV in straight sets at No. 3 singles (6-1, 6-2). Junior Anne Susdorf came from behind to win the tying point of the day on court six over Anett Ferenczi-Bako (4-6, 6-3, 6-1).
Agrawal and sophomore Sofya Malysheva won the first doubles match for the 'Dogs over the Rebel's Paola Artiga and Alexis Garrett (8-3).
#1 Fresno State 4, #8 UNLV 3
1. Lucia Batta (UNLV) def. Sophie Watts (FS) 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
2. Aleksandra Josifoska (UNLV) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 7-5, 6-2
3. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Iren Kotseva (UNLV) 6-1, 6-2
4. Santa Shumilina (UNLV) def. Sofya Malysheva (FS) 7-5, 6-2
5. Anneka Watts (FS) def. Paola Artiga (UNLV) 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
6. Anne Susdorf (FS) def. Anett Ferenczi-Bako (UNLV) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
1. Anneka Watts/Sophie Watts (FS) def. Lucia Batta/Santa Shumilina (UNLV) 8-3
2. Sofya Malysheva/Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Paola Artiga/Alexis Garrett (UNLV) 8-3
3. Rana Sherif Ahmed/Tanya Murtagh (FS) vs. Aleksandra Josifoska/Iren Kotseva (UNLV) 3-6, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (3,1,2,4,5,6)
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|