April 26, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
By Kasandra Martinson
FRESNO, Calif. --- The top seeded Fresno State women's tennis team came out strong in its second match of the day to defeat Wyoming 4-1 in the semifinals of the Mountain West Women's Tennis Championship on Saturday night. The Bulldogs are set to face No. 2 seed New Mexico at 10 a.m. tomorrow morning in the championship final at Sierra Sport and Racquet Club.
"It is about as tough a day as it gets, the UNLV match was tremendous and to come back a couple hours later and beat a tough Wyoming team was a great feat, the girls deserve all the credit," said Fresno State head coach Ryan Stotland.
Coming off a close 4-3 quarterfinal victory this afternoon, the Bulldogs carried momentum into their second match of the day and took the doubles point quickly over the Cowgirls. Twin duo Sophie Watts and Anneka Watts defeated Veronica Popovici and Dorottya Jonas 8-2 at No. 1, Aishwarya Agrawal and Sofya Malysheva paired to defeat Alma Espinosa and Christa Gecheva 8-5 on court two to seal the early point.
In singles, Sophie Watts handled Veronica Popovici in straight sets (6-2, 6-1) at No. 1 to extend the 'Dogs lead. Wyoming then won its only point of the night on court four before Susdorf won her match over the Cowgirl's Alma Espinosa in straight 6-4, 6-2.
With a 3-1 advantage on the match, Agrawal then sealed the championship berth for the Bulldogs with a 7-6, 6-2 victory over Silviya Zhelyazkova at the No. 3 slate.
"It is as exciting as it gets," added Stotland on playing in the tournament final on Sunday morning. "We are in the championship, and to do it at home in front of our fans, it doesn't get any better than this.
#1 Fresno State 4, #5 Wyoming 1
1. Sophie Watts (FS) def. Veronica Popovici (WY) 6-2, 6-1
2. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) vs. Dorottya Jonas (WY) 1-6, 6-1, 4-0, unfinished
3. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY) 7-6, 6-2
4. Christa Gecheva (WY) def. Sofya Malysheva (FS) 6-3, 6-3
5. Anneka Watts (FS) vs. Alena Vasilyeva (WY) 6-1, 6-5, unfinished
6. Anne Susdorf (FS) def. Alma Espinosa (WY) 6-4, 6-2
1. Sophie Watts/Anneka Watts (FS) def. Veronica Popovici/Dorottya Jonas (WY) 8-2
2. Aishwarya Agrawal/Sofya Malysheva (FS) def. Alma Espinosa/Christa Gecheva (WY) 8-4
3. Alena Vasilyeva/Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Tanya Murtagh/Anne Susdorf (FS) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,4,6,3)
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|