April 27, 2012
LAS CRUCES, N.M. - The No. 51 Fresno State women's tennis team beat New Mexico State, 4-3, in the semi-finals of the WAC Championships on Friday at the NM State Tennis Complex.
The Bulldogs (20-4) started much like Thursday's match when they took the doubles point from the Aggies (12-7) with back-to-back wins from the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles teams. Junior Bianca Modoc and freshman Aishwarya Agrawal defeated Jodie Wiliams and Annemieke Witte, 8-1, at No. 2 and juniors Olga Kirpicheva and Melissa McQueen defeated Ginet Pinero and Ros-Polly Nguyen, 8-5, at No. 3.
In singles, the Aggies came back against the `Dogs at No. 6 singles where the Aggies' Nguyen topped senior Laura Pola, 6-4, 6-0. Agrawal answered back for the `Dogs beating Denise Van Der Ben, 6-0, 6-4, at No. 2. New Mexico State struck again at the No. 3 spot where Pinero defeated junior Olga Kirpicheva, 7-6 (7), 6-2.
At the No. 1 spot, 41st-ranked Marianne Jodoin bested Manon Sylvain, 6-3, 7-5. The Aggies' Natalia Salum evened the score at No. 4, defeating McQueen, 6-4, 6-3, sending the deciding point to the No. 5 spot. In a three-set battle, Modoc earned a 6-0, 3-6, 6-4 victory over Witte to clinch the win and send the `Dogs to the finals for the 12th consecutive year.
The Bulldogs continue on with their hunt for the 2012 WAC Championship title.
Fresno State, 4 New Mexico State, 3
Las Cruces, N.M.
(NM State Tennis Complex)
1. Marianne Jodoin (FS) def. Manon Sylvain (NMSU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) 6-0, 6-4
3. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) def. Olga Kirpicheva (FS) 7-6 (9-7), 6-2
4. Natalia Salum (NMSU) def. Melissa McQueen (FS) 6-4, 6-3
5. Bianca Modoc (FS) def. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) 6-0, 3-6, 6-4
6. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. Laura Pola (FS) 6-4, 6-0
1. Marianne Jodoin/Laura Pola (FS) vs. Manon Sylvain/Natalia Salum (NMSU) 5-7, unfinished
2. Aishwarya Agrawal/Bianca Modoc (FS) def. Jodie Wiliams/Annemieke Witte (NMSU) 8-1
3. Melissa McQueen/Olga Kirpicheva (FS) def. Ginet Pinero/Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) 8-5
New Mexico State 12-7
Fresno State 19-4, National ranking #48
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (6,2,4,1,3,5)
WAC Tournament Semifinals
"Discover Fresno State Athletics!"- You can always stay connected with Fresno State Athletics on Facebook (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics).
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|