May 9, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
By Kasandra Martinson
LOS ANGELES --- The No. 68 Fresno State women's tennis team's 12 match win streak was broken with a season-ending 4-0 loss to No. 17 Michigan in the first round of the 2014 NCAA Championship on Friday afternoon at Marks Stadium.
In its 16th NCAA appearance as a program, Fresno State came out strong though fell short to Michigan who was led by four nationally ranked singles players and one ranked doubles pair.
In hard fought doubles play, the Bulldogs dropped the early point to the Wolverines in the first ever matchup of the two schools. Ronit Yurovsky and Laura Ucros defeated of Michigan paired to defeat Anne Susdorf and Tanya Murtagh, 8-2, at No. 3 for a quick edge as courts one and two tightened up. Court two ended the suspense as Sarah Lee and Amy Zhu took their match over Fresno State's Rana Sherif Ahmed and Sofya Malysheva, 8-5, to clinch the doubles win.
In singles action, No. 72 Sophie Watts fell to Bektas who is currently ranked No. 9 in the country at the top spot (6-3,6-1).
Ahmed then dropped her match to Yurovsky at No. 2 to extend Michigan's lead to 3-0 with another 6-3, 6-1 loss. The Wolverines then won the match deciding point at the No. 6 slate as Ucros defeated Murtagh 6-0, 6-2.
Michigan (22-4) advances to the second round of the NCAA Championships and will face either Idaho (19-5) or host school and No. 16 seed USC (16-7) tomorrow at 2 p.m. PT.
Fresno State ended its outstanding 2014 season with a 16-9 overall record, having won its last 14 of its last 16 matches played.
No. 68 Fresno State 0, No. 17 Michigan 4
Marks Stadium (Los Angeles, Calif.)
1. #9 Emina Bektas (M) def. #72 Sophie Watts (FS) - 6-3, 6-1
2. #25 Ronit Yurovsky (M) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) - 6-3, 6-1
3. Brooke Bolender (M) vs. Sofya Malysheva (FS) - 5-7, 2-0, unf.
4. #122 Sarah Lee (M) vs. Anneka Watts (FSU) - 6-2, 5-3, unf.
5. #117 Amy Zhu (M) vs. Anne Susdrof (FSU) - 6-3, 2-1, unf.
6. Laura Ucross (M) def. Tanya Murtagh (FSU) - 6-0, 6-2
1. #18 Bektas/Bolender (UM) vs. S. Watts/A. Watts (FS) - 7-6 unf.
2. Lee/Zhu (UM) def. Malysheva/Sherif Ahmed (FS) - 8-5
3. Yurovsky/Ucros (M) def. Susdorf/Murtagh (FS) - 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (1, 2, 6)
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|